28 December, 2007

Why politics???

"Benazir Bhutto assassinated", my mom read out from the laptop. Stunned, i shut The Kite Runner. My dad immediately switched on the news channel to know the details. For a moment, my mind drifted to an episode of The Rendezvous by Simi Grewal. I used to love watching it with my mom years back. Benazir Bhutto was the guest in that particular episode. I still remember the way she related her father's execution... And today, her death was carved along the very same lines. Interestingly, The Indian Express calls her The daughter of destiny.

I asked my dad, why did she ever get into politics? Didnt she see her own father get killed? She was Harvard educated, she could have definitely chosen a better life for herself. It was then my dad told, how many people could become leaders today? How many people took the responsibility to bring about a positive change by overlooking the risk factor? Very few take the challenge. And very few are rewarded.

And those words left me pondering.

No comments: