07 June, 2008

DELAYED!

UL 201 Doha via Bahrain delay until 11:30 pm flashed on the screens. For a moment, my mind went blank. i looked at my watch, 3:30 pm... 8 hrs more, what will i do in this alien airport. I took time to recover from what i just saw... meanwhile there was a big commotion around, some enquiring, some regretting and some hopelessly appalled like me. A plethora of thoughts filled my mind and a paucity of advice made me feel so vulnerable. Finally, after i had quite recovered from the shock, i went to the information desk and found out that the delay was because of an operational problem and that Sri Lankan air would be providing dinner for all the passengers. I went to a booth and called my parents. They were shaken. I could feel how my parents tried not to sound worried before me. Its not like i hadnt traveled alone before... I had since a very small age but never did i face such problems. Moverover, there's unrest in Sri Lanka, there was a blast some time back... that multipied my parents anxiety and also mine though i tried not to think about it.
The lady at the counter asked, "What currency would you like to pay in ma'am?"
I asked whether they accepted rupees to which she said no. I finally agreed to pay in dollars.
"$4 ma'am", she said.
Another stare. My mind was rapidly calculating... just 4 mins, $4? 4*40= Rs 160! WHAT THE HELL !
"If im not mistaken, i just spoke for 4 mins, are you sure its 4 dollars?", i said.
She gave an understanding smile, "Yes ma'am, rates in airport are high."
That even i knew but i didnt know that the prices were quadrupled! anyway, i didnt argue.
I collected my token for food, roamed around a bit in the duty free and then finally settled down in a place where i saw a few co-passengers. I opened the Sunday's issue of The Hindu to solve the Sunday crosswords. I had just started doing crosswords in the daily Hindu papers and had found it tremendously interesting. But i had never tried the one on Sunday's issue so i thought carrying it for the flight would be a good idea. But it was not for i didnt have the dictionary nor the patience nor the mood and nor Jovie, who used to sit with me everyday in the mess table and help me with crosswords! What a waste! Still i tried for an hour... got just 2 answers... and finally getting bored, I gave up.
I think i felt hungry. It was just 5:30pm and dinner would be open only at 8:00 pm. Trying to find occupation, i got up, walked around until i spotted a food store. I picked up my favourite choco chip Hide and Seek biscuit and asked for the price.
"$2 ma'am", he said.
Another stare.
"WHAT?"
"I say, $2 ma'am."
Now i was pissed. I wasn't ready to take this anymore. I shouted at the poor fellow. I showed him the price tag which had the price in INR, converted it in dollars and then asked how was he justified to ask for 2 dollars! That guy was taken aback... he meekly said, "Ma'am its different in airports."
I gave him one rude stare and left... went back to my seat which i had abandoned some time back. But what to do... i was hungry... severely hungry... and was foolish enough not to keep any food in my hand lugguage. So finally defeated, i went back to that cold store and asked the guy whether there was anything for one dollar. He was very polite, showed me what all was available. I felt very bad. I shouldnt have lost my temper like that. After all its not his fault that the prices are unreasonably high. I picked up ginger biscuits, paid a dollar and went back.
After i had spent a generous amount of time having biscuits, walking around, discerning the environment around, people, their style and pondered enough, i was still left with 5 odd hrs!!! God!!! I never knew time ran so slow. I reluctantly opened my laptop, after 2 failed attempts to connect to the net, I gave up. I started reading an e-book. That was one thing i enjoyed doing in that alien airport where everything was so unreasonable! Didnt realise how time passed by until i saw the low battery warning. Damn. Now what! I reduced the brightness of the screen but soon it was time to close. For a moment i actually wished that there was wireless power to charge up laptops... but the idea seemed stupid. I quitely shut it down.
Now what to do? I was stupid enough to pack up The Midnight's Children in my main lugguage. Me the over prudent fool was scared of being in trouble if someone saw me reading the controversial Rushdie in the airport. SIGH!


PS:Those hours seemed to be the longest hours of my life.But as all unpleasant things come to an end... they upgraded me and a few others to Bussines class... i still couldnt find a suitable explanation for this altruistic act! I think i was just too shocked! I had too much for a day!
Finally being back home... all the discomfort, anxieties and the pleasures of bussines class were soon forgotten. All i felt was an eternal bliss to be back home :D

Adios
beautiful mind

2 comments:

KC said...

man i pity the biscuit wallah... his ears must've blasted from your ultrasonic angry voice... and nice to see that ur posting again

Unknown said...

flight delays like those is something ive never experience and would never want to experience..... if they upgraded u to business why didn't u go to the lounge? anyways ... well written entry though.. i like the writing style...

from arvind... http://arvsr1988.blogspot.com